Join Our Fight For Better Banking for All
As a coalition of community organizations, the BNCRC advocates for fair and equal access to financial services/products, and increased private and public investments in low and moderate income communities, especially communities of color. Members must be committed to the stated mission of the Coalition and have goals and values that align with the BNCRC.
Please reach out to us if you want to learn more about becoming a member, or about how you can become more engaged in our Coalition’s work and mission.
Call us at 716.855.0203 or email us at BuffaloNiagaraCRC@gmail.com
The Buffalo Niagara Community Reinvestment Coalition is looking for a Community Organizer!
The BNCRC seeks a person with a passion, drive and commitment to social justice work. Historically, banking practices in the United States have resulted in discriminatory practices such as redlining or a lack of lending to certain neighborhoods and individuals on the basis of race. Redlining and other policies act as barriers for racial groups and low to moderate income individuals on their journey to the traditional means of asset building. These policies and practices also lead to planned divestment and neighborhood deterioration, creating pockets of concentrated poverty in our communities. A community organizer is a critical position, particularly for grassroots work. An organizer identifies and manages the various themes that emerge from the work and is instrumental in bringing together the work of organizations to those most impacted by it. Dedication, passion and commitment to the community and social justice, around issues of race and poverty are a must for this position.
A Community Organizer will:
- Build relationships with other non-profit and community organizations around equitable banking practices
- Hold community workshops on the work of the BNCRC and ways community can get involved in holding bank accountable
- Assist in the development and implementation of a strategic plan to move the Coalition forward
- Organize community members around issues of equitable/nondiscriminatory banking practices to prevent banks from engaging in discriminatory practices around home mortgages, small business lending and community development lending projects
- Conduct focus groups/surveys to assist in identifying community needs
A Community Organizer will have:
- A deep devotion to achieving social justice
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Passion and commitment to social justice work
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Ability and demonstration to work with diverse groups
- Good listening skills and decision-making abilities
- Flexibility, adaptability, and a proactive and initiative taking approach to tasks
- Ability to self-starter capable of doing independent work
- 1 year organizing experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
To apply for the Buffalo Niagara Community Reinvestment Coalition’s Community Organizer position please send a cover letter and resume to Kathryn Franco at BuffaloNiagaraCRC@gmail.com by April 1, 2020.